Purbachal-the eastern sky
Profile of Purbachal-the eastern sky
Established in 1998, Purbachal-the eastern sky is a Bangladeshi Luton-based non-political voluntary cultural organisation.
Our vision includes achieving long term goals as follows:
1. Widespread appreciation of Bangladeshi culture and heritage among Bangladeshi and other communities in Luton and beyond;
2. British Bangladeshis, including the younger generations, taking pride in their rich Bangladeshi and British heritage and enjoying their plural identities;
3. Purbachal being a dynamic vehicle for promoting the best of progressive Bangladeshiness and community cohesion in multicultural Britain.
To achieve our vision, we will:
Inspire lifelong learning among the Bangladeshi and other communities through celebrations of our culture;
Preserve and protect our history and heritage for our younger and future generations by sharing authentic information and launching cultural events;
Create a deeper understanding and appreciation of our culture among diverse communities by inviting them to our events;
4. Make our community stronger by enabling Bangladeshis to take genuine pride in their origin and backgrounds;
5. Promote peace and community cohesion by being respectful of other cultures and learning wisdom from all the cultures around us.
Our values include:
Our belief in the power of optimism;
High quality of our programmes;
Our belief in the importance of Team work;
Commitment and integrity of all members;
Valuing and recognising the contributions of members;
Respect for authenticity of information, history and heritage, and also having an open mind and eagerness to learn new things, wisdom and skills from others;
Accepting and implementing the core British values of democracy, equality, diversity, rule of law, accountability etc.;
Taking responsibility to enhance the reputation of our organisation.
Executive Committee Members
Dr Nazia Khanum OBE DL